Monday, March 27, 2006

Come on, VOGUE

Last night’s Vogue Ball at Horsemeat Disco was a fantastically hot and sweaty affair. Having arrived earlier than planned in the hope of finding familiar faces, I was pleased to find Chelsea Kelsey, The Peden, Tall Tom and companions propping up the bar.

Chelsea was despising much of the crowd for being “old school gays”. Personally I had no real issue with the people, just the sheer volume of the buggers. Oh, and some liberal use of deodorant might have helped the general atmosphere too!

By the time the drag competition started, the front of the venue was what I believe is referred to as “a heaving mass”. Chelsea and Tom proved to be harder than me by pushing forward to find a corner. I immediately wimped out and took refuge at the back of the hall with the yankies – I mean, do I look like a people person?!

Justin and Sammy had their cute friends Shrub, Tranny and Nita over from NY. We figured if we stood near the backstage room, we could still see the drag queens and not get trampled under foot – hurrah! There were some serious wigs on display – huge black masses of gothic nylon and the biggest blond afro I’ve ever seen.

My favourite outfit of the night was a little black guy who had his face painted ebony and was wearing a red clown suit with a red feather sticking out the top of his head.

Also loved Sybil Rouge – a six foot plus post-op tranny who looks remarkably like Jerry Hall. I once unwittingly allowed her to make a perfect entrance at Marvellous when I put on Chic’s Le Freak at the exact moment she walked thorough the door. She took her cue and sashayed across the floor like she was on a cat walk. Possibly my favourite Marvellous moment ever!

I’m annoyed I didn’t take a camera as there were plenty of fabulous looks. Philip Normal seemed to be wearing his Mad Hatter costume from Wayne Shires' Alice in Wonderland party the night before. He was dressed from head to foot in green and black check, accessorised by a black top hat with a price tag on the side.

Sammy Jo and Nita took to the decks after the show. Sammy had a disc with three brand new Scissor Sisters tracks he was keeping down his pants for safekeeping. Wise move, no way anyone’s going down there, thank you very much, mister. I heard one of the songs that was, well, OK. Maybe I’ll like it better once I’ve heard it again.

3 comments:

Owen said...

What an exciting life you lead, O Nasty One. What's an 'old school gay' when he's at home?

Anonymous said...

Dawn, are you heading back for a second week running for the Trannyshack thing this coming Sunday? I'm going to be celebrating my birthday there.

Hope so.

redhairedqueer said...

Yes, I am planning a reappearance. See you there!